Biodiversity Profile: American Pika
- Scientific name
- Ochotona princeps
- Globally secure, but vulnerable to imperiled in southern extent of range
- Central British Columbia and southern Alberta south to east-central California, Nevada, southern Utah, and northern New Mexico, and east to Wyoming and Colorado; ranges from sea level to 3000 meters (9,800 feet) in north, uncommon below 2500 meters (8,200 feet) at southern range limit.
- Restricted to rocky talus slopes, primarily the talus-meadow interface, often above the treeline up to the limit of vegetation.
- Active throughout the year. Relatively inactive on warm days; at lower elevations may be inactive at midday in hot weather.
- Climate Change Vulnerability
- Highly vulnerable, based on natural barriers, and physical habitat and temperature requirements.