NatureServe is pleased to announce we are hosting Core Methodology Training (CMT) virtually in February 2023.
Core Methodology Training is a hands-on introduction to standards, methods, and tools that are "core" to the success of the NatureServe Network. The training supports the consistent use of these standards and methods and facilitates a sense of camaraderie across the Network. It also provides a forum for discussion of how well our methodologies are working locally, supporting their ongoing evolution.
We recommend attending CMT if you are a recent addition to the NatureServe Network, have never taken methodology training before, took methodology training more than five years ago, or are a partner organization working with the NatureServe Network and want to learn more about the core methods that are being used. Since NatureServe methodologies are always evolving, and the training has evolved to be more hands-on and interactive, most NatureServe Network staff, members, and partners will benefit from attending this training.
- February 7, 1:00 - 5:30 pm EST
- February 8, 1:00 - 5:30 pm EST
- February 9, 1:00 - 5:30 pm EST
- February 14, 1:00 - 5:30 pm EST
- February 15, 1:00 - 5:30 pm EST
- February 16, 1:00 - 4:30 pm EST
Topics and activities include:
- Overview of the NatureServe and the Network
- Network Data, Methods and Tools
- Taxonomic Concepts and Classifications
- Introduction to Methodological Concepts
- Observations and Maps
- Biotics hands-on mapping exercises
- Element Occurrence (EO) status assessment (EO Ranking) exercises
- Element Conservation Status Ranking (Global and Subnational Ranking) exercises using the Rank Calculator
- Opportunities to get to know NatureServe staff and other members of the Network
- Detailed work sessions for Biotics Admins, Ecology staff and Species Science staff
Sessions will be a mix of presentations, work sessions, and office hours to support practice with ranking and mapping work. All sessions will be recorded and available to registrants to view post-training.
|NatureServe Network Leadership Program Members||$575*|
|NatureServe Network Basic Program Members||$600*|
|*If your Program has limitations for registrations based on a Federal or state mandate that prevent you from participating at these levels, please contact Allison_Gratz@natureserve.org.|
Registration includes all supporting materials/handouts, access to all sessions offered, and access to recordings of the sessions post-training. If you do not know your membership level, please contact Allison_Gratz@natureserve.org before registering.
Core Training Team
- Bruce Young Chief Zoologist and Senior Conservation Scientist;
- Don Faber-Langendoen Senior Ecologist, Northeastern North America
- Whitney Weber DBA and Product Support Specialist
- Wesley Knapp Chief Botanist